Friday, April 10, 2009

Open Office 3

Open Office is yet, just Open Office. Frankly version 3.0.1, while it seems a bit more complete than earlier versions, is frankly disappointing. The Draw tool, no longer has a spine curve. The curve tool in it, is down right retarded! And it's attempt to clone Access, has all the bugs you expect to find in a Java application, including not staying within the lines (bounds).

The biggest failure of Open Office, is Sun's inability to make a user friendly macro system. I'm a programmer with 25 years of experience, and I couldn't just sit down and open my database form with a macro, when it file is opened. Not without hours of study of their Uno language, that I'm just not willing to invest to this!

I really think there is a comperiacy in Tech, to justify their degrees these days. And what I mean, is they don't want anyone with just a high school education to be able to use these tools anymore, just to justify the degree. And that is a recipe for bankruptcy, and just another part of our idiot business culture. It's as bad, and as delinquent as engineered job security, which somebody needs about million more hours of ethics training.

Frankly, the thing that really disturbs me about Open Office, is it's inability to open files made from earlier versions. Oh yes, they did! I have a complete set of Draw files, XCF's that it will not open anymore. That didn't make me at all happy! But what really concerns me, is their insistence to make a Java driven macro system for the whole package, rather than a simple menu driven thing, that we can all understand and apply.

My days as a programmer are over- and not because of this. I'm old, and I don't have that kind of time to invest anymore. There comes a point where you are no longer getting payback. I want and expect today, something to be far more intuitive to us. And Open Office Base is a failure to that ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment