Thursday, August 20, 2009

Those annoying passwords again!

As the saga continues, about my migration from Fedora to Ubuntu, once again I got slammed by a password, I had forgotten I had set. But let's back up for minute, and talk about the migration, before I talk about the password fiasco.

Much to my own surprise, most of the transition from Fedora to Ubuntu has been rather seamless. With the possible exception of Java, which had a second Plug-in for Firefox, that was not installed with the JRE, but most things have been well integrated, and are complete. That is to say ready to go, cross connected and hooked up, to the existing things. Which has had me rather spoiled, up until Java. While trying to debug the Java installation, I just happened to notice out the corner of my eye, the missing plug-in button on Firefox. It was almost like it was hiding in plain sight.

We talking about another annoying password today. See, a month ago I restored PostgreSQL and MySQL, along with the PHP support for Apache. And I'm sure I just lost all the newbies! So let's explain;
Apache = Unix Webpage Server.
PHP = Popular Built-in "Personal Home Page" language, giving you server side control without using compiled C programs or Perl scripts. PHP is generally the easiest way to connect your webpage to databases.
SQL = database engines!

Ubuntu out of the box is setup as a Workstation, and not a server. So Apache/PHP, and SQL's are things your going to have to install on your own. Once these are SERVERS (they want to talk and share), it is a very good idea to reset Administrator passwords from the default values, which is exactly what I forgot about having done!

So here I am, wasting a whole day, trying to start a new database, and struggling with the whole processing, and wondering if an automatic update, hadn't failed, and torpedoed me somehow? I was running Man pages, trying to find a clue, reading about every command line option. I have a personal database setup, so clearly I had it all working right at one point or another? But it sure wasn't working now, and the Blog engine I was trying test drive, required that I get it done on my own, before it could continue. So what had changed? Well, I'm not sure exactly what it was that clued me into the password issue, and trying some of my normal alternatives, but the problem turned out to be using wrong password on the administration account. Apparently the SQL guru's didn't want to clue you in too much about that problem, to make it harder to hack- I assume?

Once that problem was salved, I felt like a complete idiot. And I still owe you a tutorial or two about SQL servers to begin with... so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment