Monday, February 28, 2011

Buying a system PRE-installed with Linux

Ok, now that I'm done being mad at them, I bought my last system from
http://www.system76.com/
Why I got mad at them was because I got back-ordered, and my system took a month to get. Not their fault, the message got spam tagged by Yahoo. However, it was worth the wait! I bought the Meerkat desktop system, that has an Atom processor, and only uses 80 watts of power. I can run five of these for what an ATX mini-tower costs, per hour.

However, ITX and Atoms aren't all that popular, because most people don't know a thing about what they're buying. So manufacturers want you to think 500 watts is better than 80 watts, when it has nothing to do with anything, really. System 76 has others too. But I feel greener with my 80 watt system, and therefore more responsible, and superior to you all (but that's just my own madness).

The other company, which I know nothing about is Zareason, which seems a little expensive. None the less, they too come with Ubuntu.
http://zareason.com/shop/home.php
I see you can get digital tv tuners, so I'm guessing that they are more ready for doing media than System 76.

No comments:

Post a Comment