Sunday, February 8, 2009

Clogged drains, my printout is stuck in pumbing

Every once in a while, a SAMBA resource will get shut off.
Yeah, so?
Normally this will be a printer.
And again, so?

Well, in Linux this is a don't panic situation, but I KNOW YOU just might anyhow. Because, I have! See, Linux doesn't tell you it can't do something, like print to a printer. It goes about it's business, buffers the job, and pretending that nothing at all is wrong. You go to your network printer, find it off, turn it on, and no job comes shooting out. So you go back to your dag blasted penguin screaming about incompetence, pull up your work again, and print it all over again, to go back to the network printer, and find no job coming out? Aaargh!!! What good is it to have a tantrum to a box, when the box ignores you?

So where is it? You check the Windows machine, and the print que say, EMPTY, no jobs here! Where is it?

Now I'll clue you in on something that doesn't happen often enough for me to remember it. I learn by rote in my advancing years; If I do it wrong long enough, it's sure to become right, sooner or later! Right? Right? Right? Come on, I'm proving a point here; Right? Right, right, right? Agh... I'm to old to remember the subject now, I so win! See, works every time.

So now we have a network plumbing problem, of your print jobs ending up the the twilight zone. Where are they disappearing to? Damn Windows! But nope, not Windows fault, not this time!

Back on the ice burg, your penguin has decided that your print jobs, are for storing, not sending. Cups (the print driver) is malfunctioning, by not being able to talk to the network printer the very first time. It doesn't bother to poll it again, when you ask it to resume, either. Very annoying.

Why you need to become the root user, to change the setup on a printer has always been a mystery to me, but it's what you have to do, to unclog the pipes. While ANYONE, can reboot your machine, at any time. But a print driver, needs Secret Service Protection? Who designed this stuff, what where they thinking? So you enter your root password, only to find all your printers present and accounted for, nothing wrong.

Except one teeny tiny detail, that most likely will not jump out at you. The checkbox that says Active, will be now off. Click that sucker, to turn it back on, and the 50 copies you wanted will come shooting out, six times over from every trip you made, trying to figure out what went wrong with "damn Windows"?

I hope this is something fixed/or will be soon, by great gurus out there, before I forget again, and break a printer, throwing it through a window!

No comments:

Post a Comment